Sunday, March 21, 2010

Trying Not to Laugh

I think that everyone has those moments from time to time. Those moments when the whole congregation is quiet. That moment when your Dad says something hilarious. Those moments when you cannot help but laugh. That moment when you are trying to figure out how not to bust into full blown laughter and draw a ridiculous amount of attention to yourself while being completely irreverent and disruptive to a community of believers.
This morning at mass, I had one of THOSE moments. During the Peace of Christ we all shake hands and pass the peace of Christ to one another. Finally as it was drawing to an end I leaned over and tapped Mom on the back, she had not offered me Peace of Christ, she looks at me and says, "Oh whoops, I forgot." Forgot what? Forgot to offer me Peace? Forgot that I was there? Forgot that I was her daughter? Dad turns his back to Mom looks at me and says out of the corner of his mouth, "Forgot? I'm not buying it." And then, THAT moment struck. I could not help it. I probably seems much less funny being removed from THAT moment, but let me tell you, it was definitely one of THOSE moments. I laughed, out loud, just a little, and then I got a hold of myself.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Hahaha!! Leave it to your dad to inadvertently turn the church into a comedy club..

Related Posts with Thumbnails