Thursday, July 23, 2009

Excitement

I am leaving to go to camping with the Campbell crew tomorrow. It's funny because when Andrew first told me that we would be going to camp in the middle of a lake on a small island with no power and even worse....no flush toilets, gasp!. I was totally freaked out, to say the LEAST. I did not grow up in a family of campers. When the rest of the family went camping my parents would get a hotel room, and yes, the apple does not fall far from the tree. However, in the last year or two I am slowly, slowly coming around. I still hate no showers and I still dread port a potties, but I can make do. I have decided that it's worth the dirtiness and bit of discomfort for the beautiful places that I have been able to see thanks to camping. In fact just the other day Andrew's dad Doug started to question my loyalty to our alliance. We joined forces when I first ventured up to the lake with them. I was so relieved to discover that Doug didn't enjoy camping either. He did not squeal at the mention of the A boat, Hill's coffee runs, getting "fresh" and tents. Thank goodness, I was not alone! But now, for good reason, he is worried that I have turned to what we will call the darkness. Yes, sadly, I am on the fence about camping and I'm afraid, about to fall over onto that side that will make me a full fledged happy camper, or at least, less of a bitchy one.
So on to the original intent of my post. I am so excited! I am so ready to head up to the lake for a few days of boating, chatting, reading and relaxing, yes, camping. There I said it, I'm excited to go camping. Although I feel this really strong need to be content today, this minute, here where I am and not miss out on the next two days because I'm constantly looking ahead. Excitement is such a cool thing, but really, for me it can have the power to ruin my present because I'm so busy planning, list-making and checking off, packing, dreaming about the days to come. Especially with the time of year that it is, my job demands that I focus and give it my all for the next few days. This morning when I woke up I was having a rough morning. I was just ready to go straight to vacation, ski pover the next two days and be gone. I went for a run early came back and promptly fell asleep which is not usual. Then I was running late, my hair was terrible, the shirt I put on had a hole in it. Yes, I was ready for vacation. I got in the car and was driving to work, when I heard a song that was telling how Amazing God is in THIS place. I was thinking about the fact that I could easily have missed all that God had planned for me in preparation and work the next few days instead of focusing on where HE is working RIGHT Now. THIS MINUTE. In THIS place.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails